Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Momofuku Milk Bar Cookbook & Crack Pie



As many people in New York will come to tell you, it is nearly impossible to try every restaurant in this city (and in regards to some places it is probably best to stay away). However, if there is one conglomerate of restaurants that should be tried by everyone setting foot on this fair city it is definitely the Momofuku restaurants.

I have only made it to one of their locales, the renowned Milk Bar, where some of the most wonderful and creative desserts are made. I had the good fortune of trying their delectable Crack Pie (which once consumed will create a life long addiction to its ever gooey goodness). I was so thrilled when I found the Milk Bar Cookbook on a recent trip to my local public library, so I had to check it out. I was not expecting it to have the recipe for Crack Pie but there it was, and I took it as a challenge that must be accepted. I am sorry that I cannot post the recipe because as you know that would be a copy right infringement, and we definitely do not want to go there. What I can comment on is one of the ingredients that the recipe calls for, corn powder. This is the product of ground, freeze dried corn. I had an very hard time finding the freeze dried corn at Whole Foods, which is one of the places the book mentions as having it available. I substituted it with Whole Foods' Toasted Corn Snacks, (which you can find in the same place as their packaged nuts and dried grains) and it worked just as well.

I recommend that if you have the money to buy this book you do so without hesitating, because quite truthfully it is packed with some of the most wonderful recipes. If you are a serious cook it will also test your ability and creativity. Here is my not so pretty but very delicious attempt at making Crack Pie. It was delicious and I can't wait to make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment