Monday, December 12, 2011

Cookies Day Two - A Happy Mistake Lace Cookies

 I think I must have been high (on what I do not know...probably just tired) when I copied the recipe for what were supposed to be short bread cookies. In any case, I miscalculated the amount of flour that was supposed to go into the dough. I had a nagging feeling that the consistency of it was still too lose when I was putting it in the saran wrap to make two rolls of dough, but I chucked it up to my crappy handheld mixer and cursed it yet again for not being able to give me the proper consistency. I let the dough rest in the fridge for the rest of the day while I went and tried to get some final Christmas gifts together. When I came back from this venture I set to the task of thinly slicing the rolls of dough, put the slices on the baking sheets and proceeded to put them in the preheated oven. About five minutes into baking I went to turn on the oven light so that I could check on the progress the cookies were making. As I did my heart sank. the dough was a thin flat bubbling mess. Or so I thought. I took out what I was getting ready to qualify as a baking disaster and set it aside to wait for the mess to cool off so that I could scrape it off. 

It was only after they cooled off and I picked the first one up that I realized that maybe this was not the great disaster I thought it could be. Although thin, the cookie remnant I picked up was firm and crispy and perfectly round, so I took a tentative bite and I thought I heard an angel choir belt out the most perfect of notes. 

Man I thought I was so screwed and here was this thin tasty cookie. I can't even begin to tell you how relieved I was that it didn't suck. It was not what I had intended to make at all but I am glad that it was not a complete loss. So here it is, the recipe of my disaster turned yummy goodness:

Nydia's Almost Disaster Lace Cookies
Yields about 4 dozen

1 Cup (2 Sticks of salted butter)
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Cup Flour


Mix the butter and the sugar (with a nice mixer that obeys the laws of low and  high speeds, not a crappy handheld one) until they are nice and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and mix in until well incorporated. Add the flour in slowly to incorporate evenly into the batter. remove half the dough and scoop it in onto a sheet of saran wrap so that you can shape it into a nice even dough tube using the saran wrap to contain the dough like a sausage about 1to 1 1/2  inch in diameter. Repeat this step with the remaining half and place both cookie dough sausages into your fridge to cool and firm up for at least and hour. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Take out the dough from the fridge and slice into 3/8 inch thick slices. Place the slices on your baking sheet about 2" apart. Place baking sheets in oven and be prepared to take them out after about 5-7 minutes later. Or if you prefer you can watch them until you see the disks of dough turn into thin bubbling sheets and their edges start to brown (or if you prefer let them brown completely). Take them out of the oven and let them cool before removing from the baking sheet. 

Now you can either eat these on their own or you can use them as awesome decorations on a bowl of ice cream.

I will still be posting the cookies I was intending to make today as I have rectified my flour quantities and am in the process of getting my dough ready for the oven. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment