Thursday, December 1, 2011

Apple Pie Cupcakes



Apologies for the very amateur looking pics but I had to take these in a hurry since I could not predict if the cupcakes would disappear like smoke after my little girl and husband got a hold of them. I got the recipe for the cupcakes from one of my new favorite blogs Bake, Robot!. I adapted only two things about the recipe. I made my own apple filling and I made up my own icing recipe. Here are the recipes for both:

Apple Filling

3 medium sized Gala Apples (cored and cut into 1/4" squares)
1 1/2 TBSP Butter
1 Small Stick of Cinammon
2 TBSP Sugar

In a small sauce pan melt the butter on medium heat and immediately add the apples and stick of cinnamon. Slowly incorporate the sugar so that it has a chance to incorporate evenly into the apples. Cook mixture for about 15 minutes stirring frequently to prevent burning. Stirring will also help to thicken up the filling. Take off the burner once the filling has reached your desired consistency. Set aside to insert into the center of your cupcakes once they are cooled off. I so wish i had one of those cute and helpful Williams Sonoma cupcake corer. Must pick one up soon.  


Cinnamon Butter Cream Icing

1 1/2 Sticks of Butter (in small cubes)
Powdered Sugar (about 2 cups or so depending on your taste)
1/4 Cup whipping cream 
1 TBSP Cinnamon (freshly ground preferred)

Place your butter in a medium bowl and using your mixer on a medium high setting soften the butter until it becomes creamy. Start adding powdered sugar a little bit at a time alternating with the whipping cream until you achieve the consistency and level of sweetness you desire. If you want it a little heavier add more powdered sugar. If you want it a little softer add a little more whipping cream. Finally add the cinnamon until it is evenly incorporated into the icing. Now put this bad boy on your apple filled cupcakes and give yourself some sweet loving. I promise these will love you back.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! I'm going to have to try the frosting especially. Was this at all inspired by the evil and addictive Crumbs Bakery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi H, It was inspired by a combination of things. Crumbs bakery definitely planted the seed, then I saw the post for a recipe on Bake! Robot. One thing led to another (especially a pressing need to use some apples that I did not want going bad) and the cupcakes finally happened.

    Let me know how these turn out for you.

    ReplyDelete