Friday, October 21, 2011

Chicken Dinner With a Twist



Today I made some really tasty chicken with at little surprise. I used some fresh lemongrass which is an ingredient that has become a staple in my kitchen, because it was such a big part of my culinary experience while my family and I were living in the middle east. The finishing touch that made the chicken extra delicious was the last few minutes left uncovered under the broiler to crisp up the skin (thank you Mr. Anthony Bourdain for making me become obsessed with this aspect of chicken eating). The following is my recipe:

4 full large chicken legs (Separated or whole will not make a difference)
5 large cloves of garlic (crushed or minced)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 TBSP Olive oil
2 TBSP Teriaki sauce
1 medium green onion (sliced thin)
1 long blade of lemongrass (sliced thin)
1 cup of water

Preheat oven to 420 degrees Fahrenheit.

In either a large, deep baking dish or a dutch oven combine the garlic, salt, pepper, teriaki sauce and olive oil ( I like putting the oil in first and then adding the other ingredients and combine them using a whisk).

Place the chicken in the dish/dutch oven and coat it in the mixture. Sprinkle the lemongrass and green onions on the chicken and around the baking dish.

Add the water and cover the baking dish/dutch oven. It is very important that I mention to you that when you arrange your chicken in your dish, you need to make sure that the side with the fattiest skin should be on the top in order to insure that the chicken does not dry out and so that the fat drips down over the flesh of the chicken to add more flavor.

 Place the dish/dutch oven in the oven and let cook for 30 minutes to allow the chicken to absorb the flavors.

Remove the cover from the baking dish/ dutch oven, and baste the chicken with the juices in the baking dish. 

Turn on the broiler and allow the skin to get brown and crispy.

Serve and enjoy with your favorite sides. This time I used jasmin rice and sauteed baby spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment